Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Enjoying the Silence




As I type this Abigail is silently sleeping in her big girl bed. THis has been such a long time coming! I can finally trust that she will not stop breathing in the middle of the night (something she has done regularly for months). The silence is strangely disconcerting after months of hearing her snore. But I will enjoy it while it lasts.

In other news ABigail has reached the age of whine. She whines constantly and it is so anoying. I feel horrible saying that about my own daughter and I know she is recovering from surgery and has been sick for a LONG time but I have reached the point where I don't want to listen to it anymore. So tonight I finally decided to use some of Abigail's brilliance against her.

Abigails favorite movie is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. She has watched it so many times that she can tell you the entire story, all the characters and all of their flaws. She is constantly critiquing others (at inapropriate times)and relating them to this movie. She saw an obese woman on the bus the other day and told me she was like Agustus and ate too much chocolate...which was not fun on the bus and we later had a conversation on personal topics we can and cannot talk about in public...anyway I digress.

This evening I was listening to her whine about something. She wanted something AND WANTED IT NOW. So I turned to her and told her that she was acting like Veruca Salt from the movie. Immediately she stopped whining. She did not cry but sat quietly for a few minutes. The next words out her mouth were polite and in a tone that did not drive my batty. She even apologized. I am always amazed at how easy it is to use logic with this child. I have no expectations that this will cary over till tomorrow but I am still glad that it was so successful tonight!

1 comment:

steveandcaryn said...

That was pretty creative of you to say that to her about Veruca Salt. Amazing that she stopped to think about it! I need to think of something like that the next time Carter whines... which is quite often!